Elder Abuse Prevention
As isolation and loneliness increase, so does the incidence of elder abuse. It can take many forms – physical, emotional, financial, neglect and self-neglect. The Department of Aging and Adult Services is urging all of its contractors and partners to make sure staff and volunteers are aware of and have access to resources and support to address this issue.
A special thank you to Shauna Reeves of the Elder Abuse Consortium and Jason Adamek from the Department of Aging and Adult Services for helping provide the resources below.
Materials available for download:
- Top 5 “Under the Radar” Elder Financial Scams (PDF) – Shawna Reeves, MSW
- Red Flags of Abuse (PDF) – Center for Excellence on Elder Abuse and Neglect
- Elder Abuse Fact Sheet (multiple languages) (PDF) – Institute on Aging Elder Abuse Prevention Program Information
- Aging & Disability Resource Center Contact Sheet (PDF)– Institute on Aging
- San Francisco Elder Abuse Forensic Center (DOC)
- Elder Abuse Resources (DOCX) – Helpful Hands for Bay Area Elders
- DAAS Adult Protective Services Program Handout (PDF)
- California Elder Abuse Reporting Form (PDF)
Links to online resources for teaching and discussion:
1) Be a Savvy Senior Rap – by Mary Twomey for the Aging and Disability Summit, CLC YouTube Channel (3 min.)
2) Recognizing and Preventing Elder Abuse Webinar – at IOA website, done by Community Technology Network (35 min.)